The Genealogy Do-Over tasks for February were:
- Establishing Base Practices and Guidelines
- Setting Research Goals
1. Establishing Base Practices and GuidelinesI read and reflected upon the base practices and guidelines of other genealogy researchers last month. For example Thomas MacEntee's The Genealogy Do-Over: My Golden Rules of Genealogy, Alona Tester's 27 Golden Rules of Genealogy, and on the FamilySearch Wiki - Principles of Family History Research and Genealogical Standards and Guidelines (National_Institute).
I have decided to prioritise the following Base Practices and Guidelines for my own genealogy research:
- Plan my research
- Follow a research process
- Work from the known to the unknown
- Learn about the history and geography of the areas where my ancestors lived
- Slow down. One objective at a time, one person at a time, one family at a time.
- Keep a research log
- Record Sources, cite correctly, give credit
- Try to see the original document (or images of the original document)
- Record every detail from every record
- Track everything - what found and what not found, correspondence etc.
- Analyse sources, resolve any conflicts
- Be consistent in the way I record my data.
- Back-up my data
- Share my research
- Keep learning
2. Setting Research Goals
The full list of Genealogy Do-Over topics for 2018 is on Thomas MacEntee's Abundant Genealogy web site.
© 2018. Australian Genealogy Journeys. This post was originally posted at https://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com/2018/03/genealogy-do-over-february-2018.html. Genealogy Do-Over is © Thomas MacEntee.