New Records Online
- Tasmania Birth, Death & Marriage Records 1803-1933 Now Online - by +Gould Genealogy & History at Genealogy & History News.
- Findmypast.com.au Launches the Anzac Memory Bank - at Findmypast.com.au Blog.
- FamilySearch Unveils Their New Web Site Design - by +Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings.
- Updates, Cemeteries and War Memorials - by Carol at Carol's Headstone Photographs
- More Queensland death indexes online - by +Judy Webster at Queensland Genealogy
- The Tablet Archive - at Catholic Family History
- PRONI's Valuation Revision Books now online
- Irish Genealogy website expanded as a portal
- Down Survey and Maps of Ireland Online
Claire Santry at Irish Genealogy News:
- Stand-by for Griffiths Valuation Revision Books!
- Ancestry adds two new London collections
- Lots of goodies coming soon from FindMyPast Ireland
This year the whole month of August will be National Family History Month in Australia. Read all about it at:
- Australia's National Family History Week becomes National Family History Month - by +Gould Genealogy & History at Genealogy & History News.
- Genealogy notes 6-13 Apr 2013 National Family History Month - by +Shauna Hicks at Diary of an Australian Genealogist.
+Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings has a roundup of RootsTech related blog posts at RootsTech 2013 Geneabloggers Review. You can see RootsTech related blog posts from the following Australian geneabloggers:
- +Jill Ball (Geniaus)
- +Liz Pidgeon (Infolass)
- Jenny Joyce (Jenny's Genealogy Blog)
- +Alona Tester (Lonetester HQ and Gould Genealogy).
Book Review: Tracing Your Rural Ancestors: A Guide for Family Historians by Jonathan Brown - by Paul Milner at Paul Milner Genealogy
Genealogy Research Methods
- Sharon at Strong Foundations has used the A-Z blogging challenge during April to list tips and web sites for researching family history.
- Australian & NZ births, deaths and marriages - by Kerry Farmer at Family History Research.
- Dating Photos - by +Michele Simmons Lewis at Ancestoring's Ask a Genealogist.
- My Genealogy Workflow - by +Elyse Doerflinger at Elyse's Genealogy Blog.
- Family History Through the Alphabet - Organization - by +Julie Cahill Tarr at GenBlog.
- Young People Aren't Interested in Genealogy? - by +Elyse Doerflinger at Elyse's Genealogy Blog.
- Genealogy, Social Networking and Copyright - by +James Tanner at Genealogy's Star.
- I've Changed My Mind - by +Jana Last at Jana's Genealogy and Family History Blog
- Yesterday (ANZAC Day) many geneabloggers took part in the 2013 Trans Tasman ANZAC Day blog challenge. You can see links to the blogs that contributed in the comments of this post on Auckland Libraries Kintalk blog. Unfortunately I didn't create a post this year, for which I am very sorry. In 2014 I will try to write an ANZAC day post about my great uncle, Tom McCarthy, who served in the Australian Navy in WWII.
- One particular ANZAC day post I recommend for all to read is V is for our valiant Indigenous ANZACs - by +Pauleen Cass at Tropical Territory.
- A-Z Challenge - T is for Tyneside - by Susan at Family History Fun.
- Family Recipe Friday - Mum's Golden Syrup Dumplings - by +Diane Hewson at Family Stories: Photographs and Memories.
- Adoption Mystery Solved after 94 years! - by Shelley at The Genetic Arborist.
- Another Matchmaker Match! and Widen the net - by +Judy G. Russell at The Legal Genealogist.
- The Autosomal Me - Extracting Data Segments and Clustering - by Roberta Estes at DNAeXplained - Genetic Genealogy.
- AncestryDNA updates - by +Debbie Kennett at Cruwys News
- Family Tree DNA Announcements: New Pricing, New Staff and a Discovery - by +CeCe Moore at Your Genetic Genealogist.
- Useful DNA tests for Genealogy - by Debbie Parker Wayne at Deb's Delvings in Genealogy.
- DNA Monday: Listening to the Expert - by Diane at Nuts from the Family Tree.
- DNA testing and your Irish (and other) brick walls - by Deborah Large Fox at Help! The Faerie Folk Hid My Ancestors. [Links to some useful YouTube videos by Dr Maurice Gleeson of the DNA and Family Tree Research blog]
- Autosomal DNA Testing - A Few Thoughts From Ireland - by Margaret Jordan at Cork Genealogist - Genetic Genealogy Interests. [It would be so useful if more people from Ireland and the UK took the autosomal test. My preference is FTDNA]
- DNA Testing Causes Grey Hair - by +Kerry Scott at Clue Wagon [I agree genetic genealogy could be made a lot more enjoyable (perhaps easier?) if more people gave all their surnames and locations. I'm thinking I need an online tree...]
Some earlier genetic genealogy blog posts that I read this month:
- An Overview of Family Historian 5 [VIDEO] and New Version of Software for the Flip-Pal Mobile Scanner Released - by +Gould Genealogy & History at Genealogy & History News.
- Scrivener for the Family History Writer - Annotations - by +Lynn Palermo at The Armchair Genealogist.
- Setting Up a Scrivener Project - by Denise Barrett at Moultrie Creek Gazette
- Blogging Genealogy: Put Those Surnames in a Cloud - by +Caroline Pointer at BloggingGenealogy.
- Zotero 4.0 Launches - at Zotero Blog
- Evernote 5 for Android: New Camera, Evernote Smart Notebook Support, Document Search, Shortcuts, and More - at The Evernote Blog.