Twenty of my thirty-two 3 x Great Grandparents came from Ireland. I've never been to Ireland myself, but I would love to go there someday. The only one from my immediate family who had been to Ireland was my brother. This post is dedicated to him and all the Patrick's in my family tree.
Here are a selection of Patrick's from my family tree:
- My Great Grandfather, Patrick (Paddy) McCarthy (1869-1956). Paddy was born 15 June 1869 at Heathcote, Victoria, the son of John and Catherine (nee Mannix) McCarthy. He married my Great Grandmother, Millicent Mary Chambers, on 11 February 1907 at Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Heathcote. See the photograph below.
- My 4 x Great Grandfather, Patrick Tangney (dates unknown) of County Kerry, Ireland. Patrick Tangney and his wife Julia Cronin were the parents of my 3 x Great Grandmother Honora Tangney (c1806-1870) who married John McCarthy in 1832 in the Catholic parish of Firies, County Kerry, Ireland.
- My 4 x Great Grandfather, Patrick Colbert (c1760-1815) of Ballybraher, County Cork, Ireland. Patrick Colbert married Bridget Ahern on 22 July 1795 in the Catholic parish of Aghada, County Cork, Ireland. Patrick, Bridget, and a daughter Bridget are buried in the Bohillane Churchyard and the monumental inscription is listed on Jean Prendergast's Ballymacoda & Ladysbridge Genealogy & History web page.
|My Great Grandparents, Millie and Paddy McCarthy.|
- Patrick Breen (c1798-1883) of County Armagh, Ireland. The brother of my 3 x Great Grandfather Owen Breen (c1800-1875).
- Patrick Hehir (c1800-c1880) of Killow, County Clare, Ireland, married Bridget O'Neill 1835 Newmarket on Fergus, County Clare, Ireland. Patrick is believed to be the brother of my 3 x Great Grandfather, Timothy Hehir.
- Patrick Joyce (c1839-1915) born Whitegate, County Galway (now in County Clare) and married Adelaide Toovey in 1876 in Maryborough, Queensland. The brother of my Great Great Grandfather, Edmund Joyce.
- Patrick Joyce (1870-1934), born Buninyong, married Margaret McInerney, six children, died Ararat. The brother of my Great Grandmother, Margaret O'Brien (nee Joyce).
- Patrick McCarthy (c1843-1925), born County Kerry, married Ellen O'Sullivan, ten children, died Heathcote, Victoria. The brother of my Great Great Grandfather, John McCarthy (1835-1885).
This is just a selection of the Patricks I have in my (old) Legacy Family Tree database. I just had a count and I have about 90 Patricks altogether in that database!
How many Patrick's do you have in your family database?
Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
In loving memory of the people closest to me who had Patrick in their name:
my brother and my nephew.
my brother and my nephew.
(Sources available on request)
© 2013. Australian Genealogy Journeys by Aillin O'Brien is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License.Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com.au/p/copyright-terms.html.