The homestead at Mr. Christian's new purchase, Retreat, was totally destroyed by fire on Sunday the 21st inst. The manager, Mr. Fullerton, had occasion to go to the store, when it is supposed the cats upset the kerosene lamp, and the place was immediately in flames. Being wood lined with osnaberg and thatched, it was quickly burned to the ground, and Mr. Fullerton only just managed to prevent the fire catching the store and kitchen by superhuman efforts.Source: 1881 'ISISFORD,.', The Western Champion (Blackall/Barcaldine, Qld. : 1879 - 1891), 4 March, p. 2, viewed 5 November, 2012, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article77211090
Trove Tuesday is a blogging prompt created by Amy from the Branches Leaves and Pollen blog.
© 2012. Australian Genealogy Journeys by Aillin O'Brien is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License.Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com.au/p/copyright-terms.html.