|Image from Gould Genealogy & History News|
E is for...Ellis
My Great Great Grandfather, Owen Ellis, was baptised at Nefyn, Caernarvonshire, Wales on 19 January 1830, the 'base son' of John Ellis of the parish of Llanystumdwy, labourer, and Margaret Jones of the parish of Pistyll.
It is believed (but not yet verified) based on research carried out by a researcher in Wales in the 1980s, that Owen's father, John Ellis, was the son of Evan Ellis and Gwen Jones, and baptised at Llangian, Caernarvonshire on 3 October 1784. Evan Ellis died in 1845 and his Will (written in Welsh) is available on the National Library of Wales digitised collection of wills proved in the Welsh Ecclesiastical courts before 1858. I have found John Ellis' family in the 1841 census, 1851 census, 1861 census 1871 census and 1881 census living at the Feathers Inn, Llanystumdwy.
|Could this photograph show Owen Ellis (1830-1907)?|
John Ellis (1784-1858) married Elizabeth (maiden name not yet known) and they had the following known children:
- Gwen Ellis, born about 1814, Llanystumdwy. Later married Hugh (?) Jones.
- Hannah Ellis, baptised Llanystumdwy 1816. Did not marry.
- Mary Ellis, baptised Llanystumdwy 1821. Later married Hezekiah (?) Owen.
|Clockwise from Left: John Ellis (1861-1942) and|
two of his sisters, probably Bessie (1863-1939)
and Suze (1865-1955).
Owen married Susan Hehir on 29 September 1860 at the Catholic Church, Heathcote, Victoria. They continued to live at Heathcote, where Owen died in 1907 and Susan died in 1921. Owen and Susan had the following children:
- John Ellis (1861-1942), married Margaret Anna Gilmore. My Great Grandparents.
- Elizabeth Mary (Bessie) Ellis (1863-1939), married Frederick James Williams.
- Susannah (Suze) Ellis (1865-1955), married Isaac Cowin. Lived at Sydney and Parkes.
- Anna Maria Agnes (Annie) Ellis (1867-1924), married Alfred Richard Case.
- Robert Joseph (Bob) Ellis (1869-1940), married Ethel May Hassell.
- Henrietta Gertrude (Ettie) Ellis (1872-1956), married Patrick McLernon. Lived at Broken Hill.
- Owen Thomas (Tom) Ellis (1874-1962), married Mary Jane (Molly) Gilmore.
Australian Genealogy Journeys by Aillin O'Brien is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License.Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com.