Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Reader GeneaMeme

Geniaus has created another genealogy meme The Reader GeneaMeme. I have been away from blogging for a while but thought I could step back in and contribute to this meme. Thanks to my blog readers for your thoughts and prayers during the recent unexpected illness in my family. Things are looking brighter now and we pray and look forward to my family member's full recovery. 


I hope I will be able to dedicate some more time to genealogy and blogging. I have, I admit, been wasting a little bit of my spare time trying out Pinterest (another great time consuming social media tool) and getting to know a new tech gadget I recently purchased (I will blog about that soon!). 


Now, on with The Reader GeneaMeme. 



The list should be annotated in the following manner:
Things you have already done or found: bold face type
Things you would like to do or find: italicize (colour optional)
Things you haven’t done or found and don’t care to: plain type

You are encouraged to add extra comments in brackets after each item 

Which of these apply to you? 


  1. Have you written any books? Not yet, I am planning a book about my Fullerton ancestors.
  2. Have you published any books? See answer to question 1.
  3. Can you recommend an inspiring biography? I haven't read many biographies, but one of the most recent books I read was inspiring biography Life Without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life by Nick Vujicic.  
  4. Do you keep a reading log? If yes, in what format? I am currently keeping a reading log using LibraryThing, with one account for my genealogy, history and technology books and a second account for others books I have read.  
  5. Are you a buyer or a borrower of books? I am mostly a buyer of books but I also borrow books occasionally.
  6. Where do you get reading recommendations? Blogs, online bookstores, genealogy society journals. 
  7. What is the one genealogy reference book you can't do without? I haven't yet decided which genealogy reference book I can't do without.
  8. Do you hoard books or do you discard them when you have finished? I hoard books if I like them and sell/donate books if I didn't like them. 
  9. How many books are in your genealogy library? I have 28 books from my genealogy collection catalogued so far on LibraryThing, but I have other books I have not yet catalogued.
  10. What's your favourite genealogy magazine or journal? The Genealogical Society of Victoria's Ancestor journal. 
  11. Where are the bookshelves in your house? bedroom, loungeroom, passage.
  12. Do you read e-books? How? I haven't yet read any complete e-books. I have read sample e-books through Kindle reader on my iPod touch. 
  13. How many library cards do you have? Local library, State Library of Victoria, National Library of Australia, State Library of New South Wales. 
  14. What was the last genealogy title you read? Shauna Hicks' It's Not All Online: A guide to genealogy sources offline
  15. What is your favourite bookshop? I mostly shop online so I don't really have a favourite bookshop. Any bookshop is interesting!
  16. Do you have a traditional printed encyclopaedia in your house?  We still have a couple of sets but are intending on giving them away in the near future.
  17. Who are the authors in your family tree and what have they written? A couple of family histories have been published previously by relatives. I know other relatives have written academic books. My Mum has written and published a couple of biographies and local history books. And I am waiting to go to England some day and find the records to verify that my favourite author is my sixth cousin seven times removed...
  18. Who is your favourite author? Jane Austen
  19. Where do you buy books? Mostly online through Gould Genealogy, The Genealogical Society of Victoria bookshop and The Book Depository
  20. Can you nominate a must-read fiction title? The most recent fiction titles I have read were Laura Frantz's historical romance novels (set in late 18th century Kentucky) which were very well written. 
  21. How many books are in your personal library? I don't know the exact number yet. So far I have catalogued 29 books on one LibraryThing account and 79 on another account, but I think that includes some books I have read but don't own. I still have many books to catalogue.
  22. What is your dictionary of choice? Whatever dictionary is available at the time I need it. 
  23. Where do your read? Almost everywhere. 
  24. What was your favourite childhood book? I wrote about my favourite childhood books on a previous blog post:  Books – 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week 23 .
  25. Do you have anything else to say about books and reading? I really need to read a lot more as I have so many books on my 'I-am-going-to-read-that-one-day' pile. 

Copyright © 2012 Australian Genealogy Journeys. Clip art from the Open Clip Art Library

2 comments:

  1. Great to see you back on the blog saddle. I hope things continue to improve. I've not read anything by Laura Frantz, but will check her out. It reminded me that I hadn't in my post recommended the whopping tomes of Diana Gabaldon set in a mix of modern times and the early 1720s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Related to Jane Austen? How exciting! I have added your suggestions to my 'List of authors to try'. My contribution to the Reader GeneaMeme is in Genealogy Leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...