Friday, March 16, 2012

Follow Friday - 21COFH Catch up, Ireland Reaching Out, Free Handouts

This Follow Friday I have a few selections of interesting genealogy reading.


21COFH Catch up
I have missed quite a few of the 21st Century Organized Family Historian weekly challenges. These challenges are created weekly by Michelle Goodrum at The Turning of Generations blog. I have been catching up with a backlog of blog reading.
The following challenges from previous weeks I found very interesting and I have bookmarked them with Diigo for later reference.
The latest challenge is Week 11 - Digital Files which is a repeat of the challenge from Week 3.
The task is to select at least one (more if you have time) of your digital gadgets and do the following:
  1. Transfer the files to your computer (or wherever it is you store such digital items).
  2. Remember to use your organizational and file naming scheme.
  3. If you have decided to utilize metadata for citations, tags and other information, be sure and include that into your workflow.
  4. If some of your items need further processing or analyzing, add it to your to do list (unless you have time to take care of it this week).
  5. Make sure this work is backed up. Always make sure your work is backed up! If you don't have a backup plan, there are numerous resources at GeneaBloggers
This reminded me that I had not transferred photographs from my iPod touch for a long time. In fact I just realised I had 320 photos on there that were not backed up! I have now transferred them to my laptop and subsequently to my external hard-drive where I backup my photographs. A very timely reminder for me.

Ireland Reaching Out
I just registered at the Ireland Researching Out project web site after I received an email newsletter informing me that the project had gone national.. The Irish Times describes how "Some 2,500 parishes have become members of the project and have uploaded their details to the project website irelandxo.com." (Taoiseach launches diaspora initiativeThe Irish Times, Thursday, March 15, 2012). You can find out more about this project at their web site Ireland Reaching Out.

I have already joined the pages for several of my ancestral parishes, which are now listed under 'My Parishes' on my profile at the Ireland Reaching Out web site. Most parish pages do not have content added yet, but hopefully that will change in the future as more people join the project. 
Joining parish pages at Ireland Reaching Out was a simple process
Free Handouts from Who Do You Think You Are? Live 2012
I really appreciate it when resources such as handouts from genealogy events are made available online for download. A great selection of handouts from presentations and workshops at the Who Do You Think You Are? Live 2012 show are available on the web site of the Society of Genealogists.
Creative Commons License Australian Genealogy Journeys by Aillin O'Brien is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License.Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://ausgenjourneys.blogspot.com.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad you got your pictures transferred and backed up from your ipod touch. They are so hard to keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I hope I wont leave things so long again before backing up files :)

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...