Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Genealogy Web Footprint - Part 2 - Rootsweb Mailing Lists


In Part 1 of My Genealogy Web Footprint post series, I listed posts I made to Genforum in 2003 and 2004. In Part 2, I will list some of the posts I made on Rootsweb Mailing Lists. An archive of these mailing list posts can be searched at Rootsweb Mailing List Archives Search. The Advanced Search allows you to search specially by the email address of the poster, which is useful if you remember what email address you were using at the time. 

The following were the results I found when I searched for my own posts dating between 2004 and 2008: 


2004 
New to the list from AUS-QLD-WESTERN-L Archives 12 Aug 2004. This post relates to my Fullerton ancestors, particularly to my Great Great Grandfather Peter (1840-1924) and his brother James (1843-1889). James spent time as a station manager at Retreat Station on the Barcoo River in Western Queensland from the late 1870s until 1887. 

Fullerton family - Elphinstone, Inglewood from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 23 Aug 2004. Again, this post relates to my Fullerton ancestors. Note: I now know that Mary Fullerton was buried at the Castlemaine Cemetery, Campbells Creek and I know the location of William Fullerton's block of land at Elphinstone.

Mary Ann BROWN d.1935, and FULLERTON family from AUS-MELBOURNE-L Archives
2 Sep 2004. Again, this post relates to my Fullerton ancestors, specifically to my search for the death record of Mary Ann Brown (nee Fullerton). I couldn't find her death in 1935 in the Victorian records because she died in New South Wales. 

SMITH, "Ring of Bells" ,Teignmouth from DEVON-L Archives 16 Sep 2004. 1861 Census Lookup Please - Teignmouth from DEVON-L Archives 18 Oct 2004. These two posts relate to my Smith ancestors from Teignmouth, Devon, England

2005
ATKINSON, John - Kangaroo Flat & ATKINSON, Joshua - Guilford from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 22 Jan 2005.| This post relates to the families of John and Joshua Atkinson, brothers of my 3 x Great Grandfather James Atkinson (1830-1902). 

Wattle Flat from AUS-VIC-HEATHCOTE-L Archives 17 Feb 2005. Re: Wattle Flat from AUS-VIC-HEATHCOTE-L Archives 19 Feb 2005. These posts relate to my search for a place called 'Wattle Flat' near Heathcote, Victoria. While I have many direct ancestors from Heathcote, at that time I was looking for the Parkin family, who are the ancestors of a relative of mine. 

Preston - Smythesdale & Ballarat from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 29 Jun 2005. Re: Preston - Smythesdale & Ballarat from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 3 Jul 2005. These posts relate to my search for the family of James Preston and his wife Abi Mowser. James (1825-1901) was the brother of my 3 x Great Grandmother, Amelia Preston (later Potter)

Potter, Preston, Heading, Hutton etc. New List Member Interests from OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives 6 Jul 2005. This was an introductory post I made when I joined the Oxfordshire mailing list. It lists the surnames and places I was searching for in Oxfordshire, England. Some of these surnames are still relevant, others were lines I was following which later turned out not to be relevant. 

Heading, Matthews, Taylor, Hunsdon - New list member interests from BERKSHIRE-L Archives 13 Jul 2005. This was an introductory post I made when I joined the Berkshire mailing list. It lists the surnames and places I was searching for in Berkshire, England. Again, some of these surnames are still relevant, while others were lines I was following which later turned out not to be relevant. 

Guildford & Vaughan Cemeteries from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 13 Jul 2005. Re: Guildford & Vaughan Cemeteries from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 17 Jul 2005.These posts relate to my search for the family of Joshua Atkinson, the brother of my 3 x Great Grandfather James Atkinson (1830-1902). 

MANLEY Family, Erleigh/Earley Court, Sonning from BERKSHIRE-L Archives 26 Jul 2005.This post relates to my search to find the relationship between the Matthews family and Manley/Pryce families. 

Re: Stonehenge from AUS-QLD-WESTERN-L Archives 28 Jul 2005. This post was just to help another mailing list recipient find the location of a western Queensland area. 

Elphinstone from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 2 Aug 2005. This post relates to my Fullerton ancestors again, specifically to the question of where Mary Fullerton was buried in 1858. I later found out that Mary was buried at the Castlemaine Cemetery, Campbells Creek.

Burke and Wills Expedition from AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives 12 Oct 2005. This post relates to the story that my Great Great Grandfather Peter Fullerton (1840-1924) rode along with the Burke and Wills Expedition in 1860. Another Fullerton descendant recently co-edited a book regarding the scientific legacy of the Burke and Wills expedition and he was keeping an eye out for Peter's name in any source documents relating to the expedition. I think this may be one of those family stories that will remain just that, a story.

GASCOIGNE - Bampton/Burford/Taynton from OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives 9 Nov 2005. Re: GASCOIGNE - Bampton/Burford/Taynton from OXFORDSHIRE-L Archives 12 Nov 2005.These posts relate to my search for the Gascoigne family. I believe Elizabeth Gascoigne and William Matthews whom I mention in these posts were my 8 x Great Grandparents. I have digitised copies of many Wills for members of the Gascoigne family which I downloaded from The UK National Archives DocumentsOnline in 2005. However, it looks I was repeating lots of earlier research, as this transcription of a 1951 document on Julian Rawes family history web site shows: History of the Frederick and Whitaker Families associated with Bampton Manor in Oxfordshire. I am very glad these people all liked to mention their distant cousins in their Wills! 

2007
Re: [HEATHCOTE] wattle flat from AUS-VIC-HEATHCOTE-L Archives
29 Oct 2007. This thank you post related to previous posts I made from 2005 regarding Wattle Flat near Heathcote, Victoria. 

2008 
[GEELONG] Co. Kildare passengers on the Himalaya 1840 - Welsh, Campbell, Fullerton etc. from AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives 7 Sep 2008. I posted this message to the Geelong district mailing list while I was researching for an assignment as part of the Graduate Diploma of Local, Family and Applied History through the University of New England. I did not make it to Geelong to research, but I was very grateful for the assistance of Susie Zada and other staff at the Genealogical Society of Victoria library, which I did manage to visit on one occasion. I was also grateful for correspondence I had online with descendants of the other Kildare emigrants. 

In Part 3 of My Genealogy Web Footprint I will be looking at posts I have made to Ancestry's Message Boards.


Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...