Friday, March 4, 2011

Names and Naming Patterns - Women's History Month - Fearless Females - March 3


In honor of National Women’s History Month in the USA, Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist blog is presenting Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women’s History Month.


Image from The Graphics Fairy.
March 3 — Do you share a first name with one of your female ancestors? Perhaps you were named for your great-grandmother, or your name follows a particular naming pattern. If not, then list the most unique or unusual female first name you’ve come across in your family tree.


I was named after my aunt, although her name was spelled 'Aileen'. My Mum was told by an Irish priest that the spelling of my name, Aillin, was the Gaelic form of Aileen. It is technically supposed to have an accent over the second i.


One of the most unique female names I have come across in my family tree is TryphenaTryphena Davie (baptised 12 May 1799 in Bow/Nymet Tracey, Devon, England), was a half-sister of my 3rd Great Grandmother, Mary Ann Davey. In later census records she was recorded under the name 'Fanny'.

Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...