Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Technology - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week 8

What are some of the technological advances that happened during your childhood? What types of technology do you enjoy using today, and which do you avoid?


As I am in my 20s, I guess have grown up taking advanced technology for granted. It is interesting to look back and see how technology has improved in the last 30 or so years. 


These are my experiences with technology, during my childhood and today. 

Computers
VZ200 and Commodore 64- I very vaguely remember older members of my family occasionally playing games with these, otherwise I don't remember much about them. 
Apple II E - they still had a few of these at school when I started but I don't remember ever using them. 
Macintosh Classic - these were introduced in 1990 and they are mostly what I remember using in my earliest years of primary school. I remember using the drawing software programs, particularly Kid Pix
Macintosh Color Classic - introduced in 1993, my school had one of these in the computer room. I remember students took it in turns to have a go on the colored Mac, playing with titles from the Living Books series including: Just Grandma and Me, Arthur's Teacher Trouble and The Tortoise and the Hare. According to the Wikipedia entry for the Living Books series these were introduced in 1992 and 1993. 

I continued to use Apple Mac's during Primary School. In my later years of Primary school we had a  PC at home. During High School I only ever used PCs, both at school and at home. I have been using the Internet since 1999. 

In 2003 I bought my own computer - a Desktop PC running Windows XP with an LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) monitor, which I thought was exciting at the time because most computers I'd ever seen before had CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitors. 

iPaq 2210. Public domain, from
Wikimedia Commons
In about 2004, I enthusiastically purchased a Pocket PC/Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) - A Hewlett-Packard iPAQ 2210. I used Pocket Genealogist software on it. I was quite happy with most aspects of the PDA. However, there were some things about it which frustrated me: 
  • it was difficult to use outside in bright light
  • every time the batteries ran down all data was lost (this was very annoying)
  • the rubber on the edges started to come off not long after I bought it 
  • I found the on-screen keyboard difficult to use. I actually bought an external keyboard but it was awkward to use too.
I still have my iPAQ but I haven't used it for several years and I am not sure it would still work. I must get it out and try it again some day soon.

In about 2005 I bought my first Laptop Computer (13" Display, Intel Pentium M Processor 1.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, Windows XP). I was very pleased with this and only replaced it last year. It still works but is very slow.

In 2008 I replaced my desktop PC with a newer generic PC running Windows Vista, with a 22" LCD monitor. I am still very happy with it and use it often.

Last year (2010) I purchased a new Dell Inspiron Laptop computer running Windows 7. I really like it and I'm using it right now! It's pink!

Cameras
Film cameras were used when I was younger. I bought my first digital camera in 2003, a Canon

Music Players
When I was young we had cassette players. I received my first CD player in 1997. I bought my first digital audio player (an iPod Nano 4th Generation) in 2008. 

Telephones
Rotary-dial telephone.
Public domain, from Wikimedia Commons
When I was young my family used an old style rotary-dial telephone. I can't remember exactly when we got one that had push buttons but it was a novelty when we did! 


Television
I have fond memories of my family's AWA color television. It served well for many years and we replaced it about 10 years ago.


Video
During my lifetime video technology has moved from VCRs to DVDs and now Blu-Rays. I don't have any Blu-rays or a Blu-ray player though, only DVDs. 


(I am in no way associated with any companies, my recommendations are my own and based on my experiences.)

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.
Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys.

1 comment:

  1. So many memories for me, Aillin.

    I still have a couple of Commodore 64s in my garage. I was the de facto computer guy when I when teaching in the 80s and 90s and remember the Apples and Macs well. My HP iPAQ is at rest on a shelf in my study.

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...