Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sorting Saturday - Revisiting my organisation goals

Way back in May 2010 I posted two blog posts regarding my plans to re-organise myself and virtually start again with my family history research (see Let's start at the beginning...Why I need to be organised and make research goals -23 May 2010 and Unlearning what I have learned - 30 May 2010)

I thought I would sit down and analyse how I have progressed, or rather, how I haven't progressed....
I have decided to make myself a Sorting Saturday challenge. I will post a Sorting Saturday blog every Saturday and try and deal with my disorganisation in little chunks to save being overwhelmed by the whole. 


First I'll take a look at the organisation 'goals' I made back in May 2010:

  • read some basic beginners guides to Genealogy and Family History - online and offline. I will share and discuss on this blog the beginners guides that I find the most helpful and interesting. Yes I think I may have actually achieved this goal.
  • organise a new Family History folder arrangement on my computer hard drive - and share my ideas! With this one I partly pass and partly fail. I did write a blog post on hard drive organisation and I have mostly reorganised my hard drive...but not completely.
  • set up template spreadsheets to record all research and correspondence - I will share my template ideas here and discuss some of the places I found the inspiration for them. Well, I did write a blog post about research logs but I am afraid I have not yet worked out my own. A definite to-do for an upcoming Sorting Saturday.
  • start my new Legacy file with the basic information about myself and my immediate family. I hope to re-familiarise myself with the features of the software - data entry, reports, charts, searching, sorting, sources and source citation (or Start a new file in Legacy, begin with myself and work backwards methodically, recording all sources, attaching relevant source documents and attaching photographs). I haven't started a new Legacy file yet, another item for an upcoming Sorting Saturday. 
  • Create research goals and detailed plans. I haven't done this but I imagine this will be an ongoing task I will progressively do after I have achieved the basic goals above.
  • Organise, tag and label the photographs on my computer (digital photos as well as scanned photos and documents). This is a rather large goal, so I will have to figure out a way to break it down into smaller chunks, say, one folder at a time.
  • Organise my Google Bookmarks. Another fail, another to-do.
  • Organise my Bookshelves on Google Books. Another fail, another to-do.
  • Continue learning more about professional Genealogy and Family History through blogs, web sites, books and journals. I think I have achieved this one, but once again this is an ongoing task as well.
  • My longer term goals include publishing some of my research on this blog and writing a detailed history book about my Fullerton ancestors. I have put some of my research on this blog. I still have the Fullerton book to work on though and that is a BIG goal.
Now I have a few extra goals to add to this list.
  • Sort out my Twitter account, organise the tweeters I am following into different lists.
  • Sort out the blogs I am following with my Google Reader account.
  • Create lists on Facebook so I can sort my news feed easily by category.
  • Begin using Google Calendar.
  • Sort out all my emails, stored across several old email addresses, into one account on Gmail.
  • Sort out all the items I have saved in my Ancestry Shoebox and all the 'maybe' information I have saved in several 'working' Ancestry Family Trees.
  • Create a computer back-up routine.
  • Photograph/scan all the family history material I have storied in hardcopy in folders.
  • Work out what to do with my collection of genealogy magazines, books and CDs.
  • Sort out the 'family history box' - the general place I put family history related clippings from newspapers etc.
  • Improve my time-management skills.

I'm looking forward to lots of busy Sorting Saturdays in the near future. Hopefully I am finally on my way to becoming a more disciplined, organised family historian. Positive thinking!

Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys. Some clip art from the Open Clip Art Library

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea - sounds like something I should do as well. Thanks for your comments on my blog and I think I need to add yours to my reading list plenty of helpful material and very nice layout.

    Now back to organizing my computer!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...