Monday, February 7, 2011

Radio/Television - 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History - Week 6

What was your favourite radio or television show from your childhood? What was the program about and who was in it?

As I am in my 20s, the television shows from my childhood were from the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Now for a trip down memory lane...

Favourite television shows from my early childhood

Sesame Street - an American television show for pre-schoolers, featuring several of Jim Henson's Muppet characters as well as human characters in a fictional New York neighbourhood called Sesame Street. Situations with the characters on Sesame Street were combined with songs and animations to educate and entertain children. When I was young, Sesame Street was on twice a day, in the morning (can't remember the exact time) and in the afternoon at 3:00 pm. As a youngster I remember always being a little annoyed when the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) showed Parliament (live coverage of Australian Federal Government sessions at Parliament House in Canberra) before Sesame Street and it sometimes went overtime!! Very boring for a kid!! My favourite characters on Sesame Street were Bert and Ernie, Kermit the Frog and Snuffy (Mr Snuffleupagus).  I loved the songs from Sesame Street - and still do!

Play School - an educational Australian television show for pre-schoolers on ABC. Like Sesame Street, Play School was on ABC twice a day (Don't worry I didn't watch too much television - childhood memories fortunately include many, many hours with family, playing with toys and playing outside on our farm!). When I was watching Play School the presenters included: Noni Hazlehurst, John Hamblin, Benita Collings, Trisha Goddard, Don Spencer and George Spartels.

Mr Squiggle - a long running Australian children's television show on ABC. The main character, Mr Squiggle (a puppet), had a pencil for a nose and used to finish drawings. He visited earth in his rocket from his home on the moon!

Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends - a British children's television show shown in Australia on ABC. It was based on the characters from books by Rev. W. V. Awdry. Thomas, the main character, was a train, as were most of the minor characters.


Favourite television shows from my later childhood

Duck Tales DVDs
Duck Tales - this adventurous Disney cartoon series featured Scrooge McDuck and his nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie as well as a host of other characters. As a side note, I came across this Duck Family Tree a while ago and thought it was very funny - I hope you like it too!

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers DVDs
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - another adventurous Disney cartoon. The main characters were the chipmunks (Chip and Dale), their mice friends Monterey Jack and Gadget and Zipper the fly.

The Adventures of Tintin DVDs
The Adventures of Tintin - a cartoon based on a comic book series. Tintin was a reporter who always managed to the solve whatever mystery he encountered.

I have all these television shows on DVD now, and often show them to my nieces and nephews.

Other Television Shows I Remember Watching and Enjoying
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
Rugrats
Saturday Disney
The Secret World of Alex Mack
What's Up Doc? (on Nine Network)
Surprise Surprise

As for radio, the only thing I remember my parents listening to regularly (and they still do) was Ian McNamara's Australia All Over on ABC Radio. 

I have really enjoyed this trip down memory lane!!

Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...