Sunday, January 9, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What are they searching for?

Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings has a series of blogging prompts called Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.
This week the challenge is:

1)  Go to your Blog Statistics website (e.g., StatCounter, Google Analytics, etc.) and find the page for "Keyword Searches" done on your blog.

2)  Tell us some of the funniest or most interesting keyword searches and your reaction to them.  Write your own blog post or put them in a comment to this post, or in a comment or status on Facebook.

While it is now Sunday afternoon in Australia, I am still interested to try this challenge!

I logged into Google Analytics and had a look at some of the keywords people have used to find my blog since I  first started it in April 2010 until now.

The most common keywords were variations of violin labels or words related to violins, for example:

'violĂ­n von fried. aug. glass antonius stradivarius fils' 
'violin'
'von fried aug. glass verfertigt nach'
'von fried. aug. glass'
'1880 - 1900 violin with flowers on tail piece'
'fabrikat in cremona'
'fried aug glass'
'fried aug glass violin'
'violon von fried aug glass verfertigt nach antonius stradiuarius fils cremona 1737'
'"aug glass" violin'
'1850's german violin painted black'
'antonius straduarius fies fabrikat in cremona 1736'
'german violin stradivarius flowers tailpiece'

These keywords would have sent visitors to my post Treasure Chest Thursday - Great Grandfather O'Brien's Violin. This is by far the most popular post on my blog which suggests to me that my Great Grandfather's violin was probably mass produced on an assembly line!

Another set of keywords that directed someone to my blog was 'can i throw old albums photos to garbage'  Please don't!! I hope they actually read my post Please don't throw it away...one person's trash is another's treasure, but I don't think they did as Google Analytics indicates they spent 0.00 seconds on my blog.

Another set of keywords that intrigued me was 'english surnames offensive'. Thankfully I don't think I have any of them...although some of mine aren't the most flattering surnames I guess...here are my English Surnames.

Other keywords included:
'fullerton genealogy ireland' - were you looking for my Fullertons?
'genealogical hard drive' - I hope my post on Hard Drive Organisation was a help.
'o'brien australia genealogy blog' - haven't said much about my O'Brien's on here yet.
'passenger list of himalaya 1840 victoria' - I could help you with that, I have a copy!
'shugg family genealogy' and 'shugg+sth australia+1860'  - were you looking for the teacher Mr Shugg who sold my great grandfather a violin?

Copyright © 2011 Australian Genealogy Journeys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...